After watching the film "Seventh Heaven," it is interesting to see how the film industry has progressed. These were the basics of early film history. Black and white picture with no audio dialogue. The viewer really had to get into the film and analyze the story. It is easy for viewers to follow films today, as everything is in-your-face and laid out for the viewer to see and understand.
It was difficult for me to know what was really going on at the beginning of this film. I honestly was bored with it after watching the first 30 seconds. This shows how the film industry has changed. This type of film would've excited viewers in the past. Now the audience expects much more.
This film really helps me analyze early movies and their productions. As I have not seen many black and white films, this is very knew to me. I think one can learn a lot from early filming techniques and this is a prime example.
I completely agree with you about the differences between historical vs. modern day films. Some really old movies seem extremely hard to follow and understand, due to their lack of dialogue and clarity. Although it is interesting to see how different these kind of movies are, the plot can definitely get boring. Like you said, modern day movies are in your face and much easier to understand.
ReplyDeleteI also agree nick. I feel like its not only just because its in black and white and has no dialogue. I feel like because we have developed all of these different techniques in film and our lifestyles today are so rushed that we need things to develop and occur quickly. I know from taking media production classes, that generally shots should be 3 seconds and should be moving back and forth. Like in a conversation, you go back and forth from each of the persons faces. I think today we need much more to keep us willing to watch for such a long period of time.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you as well. It is difficult to get fully involved in these movies but at the same time it is interesting to see how it all began. There is a lot to learn from the film styles and directing styles of these older movies. I think it's a learning curve for all of us!
ReplyDelete